freely, I love myself ♥️
every teardrop softens you
despite the weight of emotion
that accompanies them
so cry, baby, cry
let your own weight cradle you into tenderness
life carries with it a great many paradoxes
yours is to feel and experience
it is a privilege even the angels
are jealous of
may your voice hover
steadily as your lips form
and tongue widen
may your skin be palpable
so your dense humanness
becomes your flotation
may you ascend
as you become your own
have you ever sat in weird places? like inside your closet? or bathrub? or under your dining table? or next to your front door? no? oh right, me neither #sundaze
- College is the only or surest way to succeed in the modern world. We know no examples.
Bill Gates. Oprah.
- Smart people always make good decisions. If you are smart, you cannot be wrong. Ever. Duh.
- No one will ever truly look out for you, with the exemption of your family. Family members – the ones you do not choose – are the only people you can trust. Surely, everyone is ultimately out to get you in the long run. If people leave, even when their appointed season in your life is over, that is the zenith of betrayal. Off with their heads! Every institution – even the most blessed, pure, and loving – has its limitations. That can’t possibly be ok.
- You cannot set boundaries with family. “I love you, mother… Thanks for calling the third time today… Yes, yeah… I’m on the look out for my future husband. Of course!…. Yes, a medical doctor, yes, medical… I have the criteria list seared into my mind… I’ll review the scroll right before I head out to work… Oh yeah… yeah, it’s morning here – kinda early….”
- Life is not meant to be enjoyed. What is happiness? Struggle is life. Struggle defines life. Despite the fact that you only get one chance at living, why would you actually enjoy any part of it? This is not a game. #struggleislife
- Men are on the fuckboy spectrum. Therefore, can they really ever be a partner and ally? Not one man is worth the time of day. They’re all such good men, and yet leave behind throngs of broken women in their wake. I mean, why expect respect and harmony in a relationship when all he really needs from you is a warm, cooked meal and a warmer body? I mean, really, #NotAllMen, amirite?
- True love eludes women who are decisive, inquisitive, and have at least one degree. The more degrees you attain, ladies, and the more you desire out of life and people, the worse off you are in the love department. Facks on facks. And you’re over 30?! We all know you tuck your degrees and diplomas and career under your pillow, bitter, lonely woman. I mean, can you even cook?
- The goal in life is perfection. Live up to everyone’s expectations at all times. This is the true measure of perfection. If no one complains about you, and you’re worn ragged as a result, who can fault you for being exactly what is expected? At this point, you’re perfect!
- People’s opinions of who you are and what you do matters immensely. Again, it’s amount molding yourself to the pleasure of others. You’re a humanitarian, after all. The only life you’re gifted cannot possibly be lived according to the terms of the personality gifted the body. Benevolence is cute, but my opinion of who you are and what you ought to be matters more than the love you ought to generously dole yourself.
- the unending African vs African-American debate, and the assumption that the former are inherently a better people (and not merely because of continental pride)
- silly, lazy men
- the idea that black women do not or cannot support each other
- the fact that people actually live boring lives but pretend not to
- respectability politics, especially as perpetuated by the marginalised
- the “what about me?”, #alllivesmatter narrative: fuck feelings attempting to dictate self-love
- the currency of sex
- writing paralysis due to fear
- typing in every individual work experience after uploading my resume on your website
- racism and sexism
i swear i don’t require much, you know
shoot, and how do you teach the seemingly insignificant